News

What lies beneath: archaeologists confirm original location of Glenthorne House based on archaeological dig

Students and staff from Flinders University Archaeology conducted an archaeological dig in Glenthorne’s Heritage Precinct earlier this month to see if they could confirm what happened to the former Glenthorne House.

Glenthorne House – a prominent three-storey 19th Century mansion – was said to have been destroyed by a fire in 1932 and until now, it’s been quite the mystery as to where the building once stood.

While several clues remained, including site plans and historical photographs showing the building standing next to another historic building in Glenthorne, Lizard Lodge, the building’s exact fate has remained unconfirmed for a long time.

Apparently the burnt remains of the mansion at that time had been cleared with military precision, using explosives and excavators by the army which once occupied the Glenthorne property.

This month’s archaeological dig, led by Doctors Ian Moffat and Martin Polkinghorne, confirmed the location of the mansion and provided new information about site developments since the building was destroyed in the 1930s.

The team also found some interesting items, including Australian Army uniform buttons and glass which will be preserved by the Department for Environment and Water.

These items were discovered on the last day of the dig and at a level of about 1.5 meters below ground level.

The Glenthorne Heritage Precinct will be an important part of Glenthorne National Park-Ityamaiitpinna Yarta. Find out what’s planned by viewing the park’s master plan.

Subscribe to get more insider tips delivered to your inbox each month

×
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.